What to know about metal braces?
Table of content
- What are metal braces?
- Metal braces vs other braces types
- Metal braces cost
- How can ILAJAK help you change your smile through different types of braces?
What are metal braces?
Metal braces are the original form of orthodontic treatment: developed over centuries to straighten teeth safely, effectively, and quickly.
What are metal braces made of?
Metal braces are what most people think of when they hear “braces”—stainless steel or titanium brackets and wires that attach to your teeth with rubber bands.
The three main components of braces are:
- Brackets — Brackets are attached to the teeth using special cement that bonds them to the tooth and holds them in place.
- Archwires —The archwire is the thin metal wire that connects each bracket and puts pressure on the teeth to help guide them into place.
- Ligatures —The ligatures are the coloured ties that hold the archwires to the brackets. Your ligatures will be changed at each appointment.
Metal braces colors
If you're getting typical steel braces, your brackets and wires will be silver. It's the tiny elastics (or bands) that allow you to colorize your mouth!
Choosing different bands will allow you to show off different colors just like the picture below.
Adult metal braces
There is a general myth that if you pass your teenage years you believe you lost the right to braces and are stuck with the teeth you have.
Getting braces as an adult is not as complicated or impossible as one may think.
Advantages of metal braces
- Most Effective Orthodontic Treatment for Tough Cases
Traditional braces are still held up as the most effective solution for a variety of orthodontic issues.
Here are some of the issues that can be corrected with traditional braces:
- Gaps between the teeth
- Protruding teeth
The sophistication of this system means fast treatment times in addition to effectiveness
Traditional braces are less expensive than some other options.
Metal braces are made to last throughout the duration of your treatment. They are incredibly strong and can withstand the daily wear of chewing and brushing. The materials most commonly used to make them are steel and titanium.
- Constant care
Traditional braces stay in your mouth until your treatment is finished
- Avoid more complicated procedures
Orthodontic problems tend to get worse if they are not treated
- Work for almost everyone
If you are wondering whether or not you are a candidate for traditional braces, the answer is probably yes, It is appropriate for children and adults alike.
Disadvantages of metal braces
One of the most apparent downsides to choosing regular braces is the less than ideal appearance. Metal brackets are placed on each tooth and are very visible.
- Food and drink restrictions
Unfortunately, with regular metal braces, you have to avoid sweets and soda and especially any sticky, gummy candy that can easily get stuck in the braces, also you have to avoid any hard snacks these are risky because they can easily break small parts of the braces.
- Require regular visits
Metal braces are can be significantly more painful and inconvenient for busy adults on the go. This is because they require regular adjustments.
- Difficult to maintain proper hygiene
The hardware covers parts of your tooth and makes It difficult to get every area clean, so it requires patients to be diligent with brushing, flossing, and rinsing.
While untrue, there is still a pervasive stigma associated with regular braces. This is especially true as an adult.
Types of metal braces
- Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are the most common type of braces and are more comfortable today than ever before
- Self-Ligating Braces
Self-ligating braces are made from the same materials as traditional braces. However, self-ligating braces do not require the use of elastics.
- Ceramic Braces
Ceramic braces are made of clear materials and are therefore less visible on your teeth than traditional metal braces.
- Lingual braces
Lingual braces have the same components as conventional braces, but they’re fixed to the back of your teeth, on the tongue — or lingual — side of the teeth. Because they’re behind your teeth, they’re nearly invisible.
Metal braces vs other braces types
Dental braces and other orthodontic appliances are essential for the successful completion of anyone’s orthodontic treatment. Orthodontists use different appliances to make minor and major adjustments to your teeth’ position and your jaws’ alignment. Below we compare between Metal braces and other types of braces:
Ceramic braces vs metal braces
- Ceramic braces and metal braces use a similar design to achieve straight teeth and a healthy smile, but the major difference is the material of the brackets.
- Metal braces use brackets made of medical-grade stainless steel, while ceramic braces use a polycrystalline alumina that can either be clear or the same color as your tooth.
What's the difference between ceramic and metal braces?
- Ceramic brackets are made of clear ceramic materials, making them more difficult to see than metal braces.
- While they offer a subtler look, they also come with a few disadvantages.They are larger and more brittle, so they require more careful oral hygiene.
Clear braces vs metal
- Both types of oral devices correct orthodontic issues effectively although metal braces are arguably better for dealing with complex orthodontic problems.
- Clear braces are the best option if you want your braces to be low-key however they are less durable and may take slightly longer to work. They’re also prone to staining.
Metal braces vs Invisalign
The biggest difference between braces and Invisalign is appearance.
- Invisalign is virtually undetectable while typical metal braces are more noticeable.
- Invisalign trays are made from a clear plastic material whereas braces are metal.
Metal braces cost
As per American Dental Association’s, the average cost of adult braces is around 6.000 US Dollar, while it cost around 1.500 USD in Turkey with ILAJAK Medical.
How can ILAJAK help you change your smile through different types of braces?
ILAJAK Medical offers wide variety of dental treatments starting from simple procedure up to complicated procedures including Orthodontic treatments, we treat all orthodontics cases, like misalignment malposition and crowded teeth, at almost all ages, by our experienced orthodontists we assure the best treatment plans and amazing results.
ILAJAK Medical© | A passion for care.
Latest Articles, Health News, Clinical Research, and more.