Medical advice to boost the immune system and prevent Coronavirus
Boost immunity against Coronavirus
The immune system can be boosted by several healthy foods and habits, which will be mentioned in this article.
How does the immune system work in the human body?
When the body detects foreign substances (called antigens), the immune system identifies the antigens and then removes them.
Lymphocytes B produce antibodies. These specialized proteins bind to specific antigens. Where the antibodies remain in the human body. This way if the immune system encounters this antigen again, the antibodies are ready to do their job. This is the reason why when a person suffers from a disease, like chickenpox, it occurs one time, but cannot infect again.
Boosting immunity against influenza
Strong immunity these days is more important to human health than ever. It is very important to maintain and boost our immune system so that we can fight viruses, which we may be exposed to, and this is done through:
- Adequate and sufficient sleep.
- Exercise regularly.
- Take vitamin C.
- Stay away from gatherings and infected people.
Boosting the immune system with herbs
About boosting the immune system, some medical specialists have found after carrying out several scientific research that the compounds found in herbs and nutritional supplements have great benefits in boosting the immune system of the human body. These herbs include Garlic, astragalus, milk thistle, ginseng, green tea, black cumin, and licorice.
How to boost immunity in elderly
As people get older, their ability to respond decreases, which in turn contributes to more infections and diseases. Therefore, it is advised to adhere to the following general advice for boosting immunity:
- Balanced diet.
- Excessive intake of vegetables and fruits.
- Exercising on a daily and regular basis.
- Adequate and sufficient sleep and rest.
Diets to treat weak immunity
Some healthy foods will help the human body maintain the strength of the immune system. If you want to enjoy a strong body that is resistant to diseases such as colds and flu, you only need to have nutritional meals, including elements that work to boost the immune system in our body, and these healthy foods include :
- Citrus fruits: orange, tangerine, and lemon. These citrus fruits help build the immune system in the human body. It is believed that vitamin C increases the production of white blood cells. This is the key to fighting infection.
- Yogurt: Yogurt can also be a great source of vitamin D, which in turn helps to regulate the immune system, and is believed to boost the body's natural defenses against diseases.
- Spinach: Not only rich in vitamin C. It is also packed with many antioxidants and beta-carotene, which may increase the ability of our immune systems to fight infection.
- Garlic: Garlic's immune-enhancing properties come from a heavy concentration of sulfur-containing compounds, such as allicin.
- Ginger: Ginger is another ingredient that many people turn to after illness. Ginger may help reduce inflammation, such as sore throat and other inflammatory diseases. It also works to reduce nausea.
- Almonds: Like nuts in general and almonds in particular, are full of vitamins, and also contain healthy fats. Since half a cup of nuts containing about 46 peeled almonds, provide approximately 100% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E.
- Turmeric: It is considered a good anti-inflammatory.
Reasons for a weak immunity
We are talking here about the causes that lead to a weak immune system, where it is not able to cope with diseases from viruses and other pathogens, and we will mention them with the habits and foods that cause weak immunity in the elderly.
The reason for weak immunity in elderly
As you age, the immune system becomes less effective as well. The following immune system changes may occur:
- The immune system becomes slower to respond. This increases the risk of getting sick. Flu vaccines or other vaccines may not work well or protect you for the expected time.
- An autoimmune disorder may develop. This is a disease in which the immune system accidentally attacks and destroys healthy body tissue.
- Your body may heal slowly. There are fewer immune cells in the body to heal.
- The ability of the immune system to detect and correct cell defects is also reduced. This can increase your risk of developing cancer.
Risks and negative effect of alcohol to health and body
Alcohol suppresses the immune system in the human body, so it is better to drink it in moderation, or not at all. Men can drink up to twice daily. And women, not more than once. The possibility of consuming alcohol depends on other factors, such as a general health condition, the risk of developing a disease, or any medications intake.
Ask your doctor if it is safe to drink an alcoholic drink from time to time, and if so, what is the safe amount for you?.
Habits and foods weaken Immune System
Many habits and foods can affect or weaken the immune system, for example:
- Inadequate sleep.
- Harmful foods, such as canned foods, or high sugar foods.
- Insufficient vegetables and fruits intake.
- Not exercising enough or not exercising at all.
- Psychological pressure and tension.
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a large family of viruses that may cause disease in animals or humans.
In humans, many of the coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections, which range from colds to more severe diseases, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recent newly discovered coronavirus is Covid-19.
How long does it take for coronavirus symptoms to appear?
The "incubation period" is the period that extends between catching the virus and the onset of symptoms of coronavirus. Most estimates of the incubation period for new COVID range from 1-14 days, and most common around 5 days.
What are the signs & symptoms of Coronavirus?
According to the World Health Organization, the most common symptoms of Covid 19 are fever, fatigue, and a dry cough. Some patients may also experience a runny nose, sore throat, nasal congestion, pain or diarrhea.
Coronavirus preventive measures
- Maintain general hygiene, wash hands regularly, for not less than 20 seconds.
- Keep a reasonable distance from the people around you, approximately 1 meter (3 feet).
- Avoid touching the mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Practice healthy respiratory habits: covering the mouth and nose with an elbow or a tissue-paper when coughing or sneezing. Then dispose of the used wipes immediately.
- If you experience any of the symptoms, such as fever, coughing and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention early.
- Compliance with orders issued by the country's health authorities and government, for example, social & physical distancing, quarantine, etc.
Coronavirus recovery rate
Epidemiologists say the recovery rates for Covid 19 will not be clear until the end of the outbreak, and they can see the full data set.
As of the moment of preparing this article, the death rate was 4.34% of the total number of the infected, and the recovery rate of Coronavirus 28.82% of the total number of the infected, while 66.84% of the total number of patients in a condition ranging from serious to minor.
But in China, the source of the virus, the recovery rate reached 87%, the mortality rate 4%, while 9% remained under treatment.
Ilajak Medical© | A passion for care
Latest Articles, Health News, Clinical Research, and more.